What's new

Ubuntu store closed

wizard

Ubuntu store is now officially closed. It used to allow fans and supporters to buy Ubuntu-branded merchandise. No more branded T-shirts, mugs or stickers until there is an alternative solution is made available.

Jason

They tried earning some money by this but it didn't work out well. Atleast they get supported by users buying their OS.

Jason

Ubuntu is free, but they need some financial support to run the support forum and develop their OS

wizard

Their source is donations. Many big corporations including Google funds Ubuntu so that they don't have to use Windows at the office. Many of them are competitors of Microsoft or afraid of backdoors in Windows.

Jason

Hmm i know, Amazon store comes as default installed app in Ubuntu right. That way they are supported in terms of donation

Trinkets

Other than Amazon, a lot of people and organisations support Ubuntu. Mainly a set of companies which do not want to use Windows. I think even Google is a sponsor.

Jason

I too didn't read anything regarding to the donation. But i heard Linux Kernels will be used in Microsoft.