What's new

PHP version support

wizard

Does your host support selecting PHP versions ? The reason I ask, is a lot of people want to stick with older versions of PHP. And there are some who want the bleeding edge version for the latest CMS. WordPress said they will be supporting PHP 5.6 for sometime.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trinkets

Most of the reputed hosts will allow you to select your PHP version. You can do it from cPanel if you wish to.

wizard

Yes, that is true. I am amazed why people stick to PHP 5.x series these days. A lot of talk is about PHP 7 series.

Trinkets

People won't change their script once it gets indexed on Google. Many older scripts still need the then version of PHP. And believe me, a lot of very powerful and rich websites use them.

Jason

I was using 5.6 , recently i switched to 7.1 from my cPanel

Jason

CMS i don't use any, i use Xenforo (sorry if was a wrong reply)

TUNEDCLOUD

Yes, that is true. I am amazed why people stick to PHP 5.x series these days. A lot of talk is about PHP 7 series.
Usually because the scripts they are using on their sites are on PHP56 and the developers are too lazy to update their scripts to PHP70 or PHP72 as in reality PHP70 and PHP71 are obsolete right now, PHP56 even worse... but you can still get hardened versions, both Cloudlinux and non-Cloudlinux are possible.

Most reputable hosts have ability to run PHP54-PHP72/3 now on their servers using MultiPHP selector in cPanel or custom solutions in case of Nginx setups, etc.

Jason

I was running 5.x series, but now upgraded it 7.2

TUNEDCLOUD

I was running 5.x series, but now upgraded it 7.2
Did you experience a noticeable change in your performance? With my sites that I have switched from PHP56 to PHP72 I see visible improvements in page loads on PHP driven sites.

Jason

I think i see a difference in speed, the server response time has come down.