What's new

Operating System

wizard

Which operating system do you use ? And why ? Is there any benefit for one OS for other ?

I am long time Ubuntu user. It has been a very good experience for me. At the beginning there were a certain things which didn't go well for me. As time passes and once you get the feel of it, things are much easier than in Windows.

I know a lot of people hate using Terminal. But it has become one of my favourites. Command line is fun when you get used to it. Much easier than GUI

Last edited by a moderator:

Sumesh

interesting.. I currently using Linux and windows operating system

I feel windows os is user friendly

Trinkets

Using Windows since Windows 95. Windows XP used to my favourite OS since it lasted till later parts of early 2000. I was never been a fan of Vista. Currently happy with Windows 10.

wizard

Why not try Mac ? There are a lot of Mac lovers whom I know.

I want to try it someday.

Trinkets

Mac is overpriced for me. It is not like that I can't afford it. It is mostly that I can get the same or better experience with Windows or Ubuntu.

I prefer Windows these days. Mostly because certain software I need to use are not available with Ubuntu.

Jason

I am a Windows 10 User, But always wanted to try Linux (linux mint) and move out of Windows. But certain games and apps stops me from moving

wizard

Games are a no go in Linux. It is not that there are no games but the catalogue is very thin when compared to Windows. For apps, most of them has a replacement / alternative.

Jason

I agree, Games are big no for Linux. Wine and Play on Linux helps but not effective as Windows. Apps is not an issue for me, so sticking with Windows as of now. Might move to Linux soon

Trinkets

Windows is fun if you have a past of using Windows XP or Windows 7

Gaming is one reason Windows is sold in loads. If it was just office, people would have moved to Linux already.

Jason

@wizard I tried 2 games, not effective though. Bad FPS and font issues are there.

Jason

Why do you like Ubuntu more? @wizard What is the benefit of using this OS over other linux distros?

wizard

Drivers. For other distros, it is hard to find the proper driver for the devices and peripherals. Another thing that lures me is that it is free the right way. I don't want to use a pirated OS or pay a huge amount for basic home use.

Jason

@wizard So Ubuntu gives the best drivers for Graphic cards too? I also tried Ubuntu, but haven't installed it.

wizard

It is not what they gives, it is what is available. If you use a 5 year old PC, there is a good chance you will find all drivers in Ubuntu, but not other distros. Ubuntu is very popular with regular users, have a great community and has a few tie ups with hardware vendors. Therefore, there is a very good chance you will find all drivers in Ubuntu than anywhere else.

Jason

I tried Linux Mint live using USB, man it is very slow and lags very badly

Trinkets

It could be because that you are using an USB. It is not one of the fast reading device. SSD, HDD does much better speeds.

wizard

By today's standard, you need an SSD for your OS. SSD is not as costly as it used to be. USB is way down the lane.