What's new

Killing the URL by Google and Apple

wizard

I was told that Apple is already doing it on Safari. ie, instead of showing full URL, they show only the domain name. What is wrong in it ? Well, you will see this page address as https://adminweb.org , no matter in which page you are on.

Is it good ? A lot of people at Google thinks that it could have some effect on phishing. Both positively and negatively. That could be the reason they are in two minds and have not implemented the NO URL thing yet. It have obvious security concerns. But hey, there is nothing new. We do that all the time in apps. We don't even get to see the domain name in the apps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trinkets

I like it the current way. Has more control over what we browse. Let the mobile take its own path.

wizard

All they care about is that you are on a particular domain which is intended. Other could be pro features to normal users. Only a quarter of them understands URL structure.

Jason

I can confirm it for Safari, it only shows the main domain name. I didn't have any problem as i don't look at the url o

Lammchen

I don't like the idea because I am one of those who likes to explore sites to see what other areas there are and I do that by removing parts of the URL to get to different sections. Sometimes you find things that people don't want you to see (I don't mean password protected) because they forget they still have it there and it's not linked anymore. I used to find music that way :)