What's new

Inkscape

wizard

I am sure that most of you have heard about Adobe's Illustrator. It is a tool which is very useful in creating vector graphics. Vector graphics is an image which you can scale to any extent without loss of quality. Most designers use Illustrator for vector graphics. There is a fan following for Corel Draw as well.

https://inkscape.org/en/

Inkscape joins the league here. It is a free, open source vector graphics authoring tool. In simple words, Inkscape is a very good and free alternative for Adobe Illustrator. It is do almost everything Illustrator does. May it be logos, icons, art work, Inkscape got you covered.

The fact it is free, open source and well maintained means that there is a good chance your graphics artist is going to charge you less. That is because Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw are sold at a premium price. When your graphics artist can skip those charges, there is a good chance that he/she might give you a competitive pricing.

The output of Inkscape is mostly SVG. If I am not wrong, there is an export option for .eps as well. However, exporting to .ai is not supported

Last edited by a moderator:

Trinkets

It used to be my fall back tool for vector editing. There was some talk about it handling a lot of formats. You know, some clients specifically ask for a .ai file. You can't meet that with Inkscape. That the only drawback I see in it.

wizard

Their support is also awesome. You answer almost every query no matter where you ask.

The Google Plus support is very effective. I have never tried their forums.

Trinkets

I like the part where the UX is great. GIMP is no hero in that area.

wizard

Version 1.0 is now in Alpha stage and is available to download.

v 0.92.4 fixes issues while handling files done using Adobe Illustrator and printer driver issues with mainstream printers like Canon.

wizard

Want to report an issue to Inkscape on Gitlab ? Here is your chance

https://youtu.be/3Y7_T_tbGAM

Trinkets

I think you can make feature suggestions there too. Haven't tried yet.

wizard

You can talk to them on Twitter. They respond for most of the queries.

Trinkets

Font Awesome was not getting added for me. I hope that is a bug, nothing more.