What's new

GIMP

Trinkets

Glad that you mentioned it. It's the best alternative to Photoshop. They recently came up with version 2.10

Last edited by a moderator:

wizard

They don't have CMYK support though. I was told that a lot of people requested it and team was not interested in implementing it

Trinkets

That is one obvious drawback. And the thing is, I am not sure ( no one is ) why they oppose CMYK addition. Let's hope someone puts up a plugin for their latest version 2.10

wizard

But, looks at all those good things. If you skip those minor flaws or thing that we can do in Photoshop, GIMP is an absolute winner. Adament developers are a part of open source projects. They are mostly driven by their ego

Trinkets

There should be some motivation for people to work. You are not saying that ego could be one. I have seen that at more than one place. That could be annoying, but that's how things are with certain projects.

wizard

Open source projects should have some solid financial backup from the community. Otherwise projects cannot thrive. There was some person who pledged a huge amount to Gnome foundation last month. I hope some of it makes way to GIMP as well. It is a project we cannot miss to loose.

Trinkets

Vertical text layers
Long sought feature. I am sure it will be useful in a lot of occassions. It is interesting that they have added one of the major uses in example itself

wizard

I wonder how it would have met in previous version. Something like that has a very common use. Perhaps, write each letter and arranging the vertically used to work before.

Trinkets

They were very quick coming from 2.10 to 2.10.6. Really fast paced development. Looks like the new extensions are getting ready too.

wizard

babl master is now able to express CMYK based pixel formats backed by lcms2 and ICC profiles and most conversions that is needed by GEGL. The work mentioned in the previous post about making GEGL as a compositor less tied to RGB, and share a common code-path for 1, 3, 4 or more components in the case of spectral data is bearing fruit and for these operations CMYK support is now coming to GEGL.
CMYK support is getting ready for GIMP. You can support the author on Patreon

https://www.patreon.com/posts/cmyk-progress-22901518

Trinkets

CMYK support is a long requested feature on GIMP. You will understand if you try to open a PSD file in GIMP. Nice to see that someone is actually working on it. Thanks GIMP.

wizard

I really hope it will land on GIMP soon. The problem with open source projects is that it takes 6 months to 1 years for things to go through.

Trinkets

In the end, you will be able to open almost all PSD files in GIMP. That is a good thing for me.

Jason

I am using GIMP and sad it is nowhere close to Adobe Photoshop. Few features are confusing, but i hope i will learn it soon

Trinkets

It was more or less the same at some point. But now, Adobe Photoshop has changed a lot, and so has GIMP. There are a few things you can do easily on Photoshop. GIMP has certain areas which are good due to community contribution. But you are right, at this point they are not clones. Which is good in my opinion.

Try a few YouTube videos and build your experience. In the beginning it is a bit hard. Try simple experiments at first

Trinkets

According to GIMP on social media, CMYK support will be included in version 2.10.10 .

wizard

Trinkets

I don't think it is integrated to GIMP yet. But the progress has been made. Will it make to GIMP before 2.10.10 ? Let us wait and see.