What's new

Font Awesome

wizard

Font Awesome is an interesting way to add SVG icons to your web project. They allow you add codes into your page which are rendered as icons. Big, small, coloured, animated, flipped etc, they come in all sort of styles. ie, you can customize the icons into a variety of output with a single piece of code.

https://fontawesome.com/

Font Awesome is primarily an icon font. ie, icon which is added as a font. In effect, you are not adding images, it is icons that you are adding, but the output is images in real. Since those images are SVG, you get a variety of option for screen size as well. ie, it will look well a variety of screen sizes and resolution.

I doubt that whether there is any developer who has not taken advantage of font awesome yet.

What I like more is it's name. Font Awesome is of course an awesome name for icon fonts. With their latest version summing up around a million + dollars on kickstarter project, Dave ( owner ) had his fortune redefined as well. It is always good to see that a free, open source project makes some money as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trinkets

Font Awesome is a very successful project. I have used it myself. Saves a lot of time and headache.

wizard

I have heard that Dave is an MIT alumini. Not sure I got the college right.

Trinkets

All those new icons added periodically, Font Awesome is getting incredibly heavy. What are people gonna do with the lagging page loads. Google just declared page load time as an official signal for search results. It would be disaster to load them all everytime.

wizard

The latest version have a lot of icons. I think adding it to your project is an overload. Most of them won't be used. People can simply use SVG icons instead. Make them on their own would be a better idea.

Trinkets

They are still supplying earlier versions of Font Awesome through Github. If you do not want to make use their extended icon library, older versions should work fine. Give it a try.

Trinkets

I like it lean without all those unnecessary icons. But that is next to impossible these days. Having done a very successful kickstarter project, Dave and team are bound to take suggestions for the customers. And everyone their own choice of icons in the set.

wizard

v 5.3.1 comes with 386 new icons including religion, business, maths, status and marketing

Source

(old_inline_attachment)

Attachments

Trinkets

A great lot of new icons are added to Font Awesome recently. I really hope the process won't slow down projects using it.

wizard

They might have added at least 500 icons in the last 3 months across various category.

Trinkets

@Sumesh Font Awesome is an icon set which acts as fonts in the back end.

Trinkets

Font Awesome is adding too many icons. While the catalogue is great it will make the websites heavy.

Beautiful icons by the way

wizard

They can give files as categories. Where people can choose what they want and what they don't.

On a side note, I really like the winter and holiday pack. They are so real and simple.

Trinkets

Make use of it this holiday season guys. It will serve you well. Free resources for decorating your website

wizard

Font Awesome versions 5.7 comes up with food category pack, medical icons, top requested icons and more. A total of 237 new icons has been added in v 5.7.

(old_inline_attachment)

Attachments