What's new

DDoS

wizard

Have you ever been attacked using the DDoS method ? What did you do ? How did you recover ?

DDoS = Distributed Denial of Service

Last edited by a moderator:

Trinkets

DDoS is attacking your websites from a lot of sources. There will be a flood of requests that your server can't handle it. It is more or less like normal traffic but spiked. Hosting companies have their own means of handling such spikes.

Jason

My site hasn't faced any issues till now, and i believe it won't. DDos attacks happen on website which are popular and political right? Haven't heard about cases on small websites.

Trinkets

There are 2 possible cases

1. Attacking your server

This can be due to any no. of reasons. Just for fun, show of strength or for asking money from your hosting provider. This sort of attacks are more common than attacks on individual website. But since your host is attacked, you will face it too.

2. Attacking a particular website

As @Jason mentioned, it mostly won't happen with small website. Not unless you annoy someone capabale of doing it . Sites like Facebook, Google or even Godaddy website can face this sort of attacks.

It is best taken care of them. They have their own hardware firewall to deal with such attacks.

wizard

Getting a host with DDoS support sound like a good idea than anything else. Even if we pay a bit more, there is peace of mind.

Jason

Is Implementing DDos Protection costly? Not all host given DDos protection.

Trinkets

There are many layers of DDoS protection. I was told that when the hosts use hardware based buffers costs will go high. In that case, yes, it is a costly business.

wizard

Is Implementing DDos Protection costly? Not all host given DDos protection.
If your host does not offer DDoS protection, use Cloudflare. They are very effective against DDoS.

Jason

This is what my host has listed "DDoS Protection - 2Gbit/s" for my hosting plan.

Trinkets

There is a flood limit for DDoS that hosts can offer. Say 1000 bots are attacking they can manage, but not if 5000 bots are attacking. That is behind these limits.

Jason

Thanks for the information. Hope none bothers about my website

Trinkets

Ha ha. It happens mainly when your host is targeted. That's what happened with a few of my friends.

Jason

Sad to know it, we keeping backup and regular server backup will save us from this.

Trinkets

My hosting reported that they are facing DDoS attack. Thank god, it has not affected us much. Benefit of being with a leading provider.

Trinkets

That is what happens when you have many tools at your disposal. Small hosts can't handle at this magnitude.

TUNEDCLOUD

Most modern companies will utilize several layers of DDoS protection, L3/4 and L7, using CloudFlare with integrated hosts will allow for HUGE DDoS mitigation and you can get it on their free plan.

https://www.cloudflare.com/lp/ddos-x/

Hope this helps other users interested in DDoS protection.