What's new

Days of web are over

wizard

I am someone who weighs about starting new projects when I see a supported script or tool. But nowadays, I have started thinking that days of web projects are over. Almost everything is moving to apps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trinkets

That is true to some extent. There is a good chance of failure if you do a web only project. But if you can provide apps for different platforms for your project, mainly iOS and Android, it is just like the old days.

Jason

Yes portability is preferred by many and apps rule the market now.

Trinkets

To be frank, it is not easier to start projects as it was before. All you need to have was WordPress, which was free. Nowadays, it needs a lot of investment.

wizard

Apps are not cheap. They start at $ 300 on Freelancer. That is for Android. I think an iOS developer won't do a basic one less than $ 1,000.

Trinkets

That is true. As I said, starting online / web projects are not cheap anymore.

wizard

Sadly, most popular CMS does not offer apps with their packages. Building a custom app is not easy as well. Is there any app for WordPress ?

Azareal

Eh, I don't really think so. Maybe in 2009.

A lot of features which were once the sole domain of apps have been absorbed by the web with more and more being added with each passing year. I think what people really like with apps is things like notifications, a really clean and quick experience, etc.

Those aren't really things exclusive to apps though.

Trinkets

I think what people really like with apps is things like notifications, a really clean and quick experience, etc.
Lesser code to load as well. A 50 MB app can save a lot of bandwidth by skipping the need to pull a lot of CSS and JS.

Azareal

Lesser code to load as well. A 50 MB app can save a lot of bandwidth by skipping the need to pull a lot of CSS and JS.
For me, I have 122KB for first load (mainly images) and 3.9KB for subsequent loads, although I'm not going particularly fancy with my current theme.
I haven't even really started optimising it by doing things like pushing JSON back and forth more instead of doing full page loads.