What's new

Community funded software

wizard

This seems to be the life force of many open source projects. But for mid level and small level ventures, do you think it is a viable source of income ? Will there be enough support from the community ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Trinkets

Depends a lot on how you support it. If you are planning to simply release a software and make money, that is not going to work. You will need some sort of support facility. Either through Github issues or a product forum. If there is support and interaction, I don't see why it won't work out for you.

wizard

Is a support forum necessary ? I would settle for Github issues.

Jason

Understanding Github is too difficult for my brain, a support forum helps

Trinkets

Github issues are more like threads. But I agree with @Jason , forums are more user friendly.

wizard

Do you have a Github account @Jason ? Even I don't understand a lot of things about Github. Perhaps support through social media. Isn't that the trend now ?

Trinkets

Social media support sounds fine to me. Now that Google + is not an option there is only Facebook and Twitter to care about. I prefer Facebook.

Jason

I had an account once i was helping a free software with documentation. I understood only few things and i then stopped using it.